Thursday, June 4, 2015

Bread, Soup but NO Card

Good Morning my crafty friends.  Well I was right, I didn't get a card done. I did go into my Studio, looked around, saw some things I might use to make a card, then walked out...

I had spent time reading my 1 year Bible plan, catching up on emails, and just general surfing the web. Gads, that web surfing eats a lot of time! Have any of you noticed that? I needed to do a grocery run and make a  return, but that was  a "time eater" also. 

Since my GD was coming for dinner, she's a Marine stationed here in Pendleton about 20 minutes away, I decided to make her the Raisin Bread she had been asking for. I have a bread machine and I had the recipe, but let's just say, it was a FAIL. It tasted wonderful, but looked awful. If any one out there in Blog Land has a good Bread Machine Raisin Bread recipe, just send me an email (bpb4553@gmail.com). I found several on the web, yes here I go again, and will try one this weekend and let you know the results.
My Raisin Bread FAIL



I also made a soup that I haven't made in a very long time and served it with some homemade Sweet Milk White Bread.  I love soup, but I seem to stick with Chicken Soup, which is my very favorite. Oh, I have tried others, but always go back to Chicken Soup. The ultimate comfort food, but  thought today I would revisit an old favorite.

This Mini Meatball Minestrone is one that I made quite often when we had our 7 children at home. Since we raised our own beef and grew zucchini, it was a great match for use that was simple and economical. It turned out just like I remember and is on my lunch menu today.

 Although I like this soup anytime of the year, you might use it to round out your Fall/Winter menu.

Mini Meatball Minestrone

1 28 oz.can diced tomatoes
2 cups shredded cabbage
2 small zucchini, sliced (2 C, I use 3 C)
1 12 oz. Whole kernel corn (undrained)
1 Tbsp. Olive oil
2 ribs of celery, sliced
1 med. onion, chopped 
1/2 C broken vermicilli  (I just use reg. spaghetti) 
1/2 C Red wine (this can be omitted, but does aseem to give it more depth of flavor)
2 tbsp. snipped celery
1 1/4 tsp. instant beef bouillon
1 tsp. dried Oregano
1/4 tsp. dried basil
*1/8 tsp. garlic powder (next time I would use fresh garlic and saute it with the onions and celery.)

In a Dutch oven, add the olive oil until heated, add the onion and celery and cook until translucent. Add 4 cups water, 3/4 tsp. salt, and 1/8 tsp. pepper, tomatoes, cabbage, zucchini, undrained corn, red wine, bouillon, and remaining herbs. Bring mixture to boiling;  reduce heat and simmer, covered for 20 - 30 minutes. *I simmered mine for 30 minutes.

Meatballs - preheat oven to 350

1 lb. ground beef
1 beaten egg
1/3 fine, dry bread crumbs
1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce

Add all ingredients to bowl, mix well. Shape into 36 small balls. Place on baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Cook apprx. 20 minutes. 

Add spaghetti and drained meatballs to soup; cook for another 15 min covered or until spaghetti is cooked. ENJOY!

That's about it.  I hope to have a CRAFTY day and pray you do also. 

Hugs,
Bernie Bee










No comments:

1000 Piece Puzzle

  It is a beautiful puzzle,but we probably will NOT do one again. The 500 pc. ones are much more relaxing. Heres hoping you all have a great...